Sun, 17 Dec|
Bethnal Green Ventures
Repair that which is broken, give it a new and beautiful life. Kintsugi is the Japanese art of repairing ceramics with gold. Join us for a crafting afternoon making broken things beautiful again.
Time & Location
17 Dec 2017, 13:00 – 15:00
Bethnal Green Ventures, Frizzell House, 14-22 Elder St, London E1 6BT, UK
About The Event
If you've been following my instagram @TeaWithKyle you'll have seen that a few weekends ago Laura and I went to a Kintsugi workshop. I've always loved the idea of Kintsugi, the Japanese art of repairing broken ceramics with gold. Taking something treasured and bringing it back to whole again while making it even more beautiful is an exceptionally fulfilling treat.
So pleased were we that Laura has kindly offered up her office space at Bethnal Green Ventures in Shoreditch so that I can hold my own Kintsugi workshop. This is our test run so the price is a bit lower than usual. We'll also be throwing in drinks, tea and nibbles. So it'll be a fun afternoon of crafting, chatting, drinking tea and making the world beautiful again.
All materials and equipment to create kintsugi will be provided, all you need to do is bring something broken and an apron.
Ideas for your broken object:
- A treasured but sadly broken ceramic piece.
- Porcelain or stoneware is the easiest to work with. Terracotta or soft clay pieces are a bit trickier.
- A cheap junk or charity shop find is great too
- Plenty of places have already started Christmas sales so picking up a piece from say Habitat or John Lewis on the cheap works too.
- It should be broken or you're willing (eager) to break it.
NB. Whilst the finished piece will be watertight and strong, it is not recommended to use it for drinking or eating so choose accordingly.